Or what to do with a broken mini that would be too much of a pain to repair. So I had a broken mini lying around and I had been wanting to try a new technique, so I picked it up and gave it a go. Its very colourful as I tried the same technique with different colours. Basically I tried glazing down, rather than starting with a midtone then going up and down, I started with the 90% brightest highlight and worked my way down. Now I did these very quickly and I havent spent more than 2 hours, probably less, for all the colours on here but I think the results are quite good, given the speed. I used a few transparent colours from VMC for this and I definitely plan on getting more, and probably looking into inks after this experience. I think if I slowed this method down a bit and put more thought into placement of shadows then this would be very effective. Its definitely going to be integrated into my repertoire for sure. Anyway enough talk, here are pics.
I spent longest on the side in the first pic and I think it shows, though I really like the way the orange neck bit came out, despite taking less than 15 minutes, as the colour is awesome. Picture doesnt quite capture it right.
SOme more progress on the dwarf:
And I also started the new plastic nurgle lord. Have to say that it has been alot of fun to paint so far and I think I am making some nice progress on it. Skin on his belly is nearly there though some blends need to be smoothed and then I need to add some more shading around his head. Havent got around to doing all the scabby things yet though. Oh and that shoulder area definitely needs work. Top of the Axe is also pretty much done but the rest is just basecoats.
Let me know what you think.
o not been doing a whole lot recently but have started a few pieces mostly to try new techniques. Finding that recently I havent been inspired to actually finish a piece, more just painting to try out new techniques . Struggling to find a piece that makes me want to finish it.
Anyway, the first guy is just a start, focused mostly on the skin on his back, (trying to use seb archers method, found HERE) the metallics are about 70% done, I just need to glaze back the highlights. and smooth out a couple issues in the shading. The rest is just basecoats pretty much.
And a base I started for the Pan mini From Studio McVey, here I was looking at the fairies (there is another in his hand but I havent got that far) changing colour to tell emotions. I figure since they are so small yelling probably isnt very effective so they have to use another way to warn each other. so the bottom one was blue (cold) due to being suspicious and the picture doesnt show it at all actually but the face is scared as she has just seen Pan grab for his knife so she is turning purple. I plan for the one in his hand to be warmer colours but I probably wont get there for a while.
Anyway, sorry for the wall of text, let me know what you think.
Been doing some painting recently, so I thought I would post up a few pictures of what I have so far.
Bilbo, still lots of work to do on him, man this guy is small:And a bust from the Basement Figure Range. Really good quality cast, and so far the figure has been fun to paint. Only got around to the head so far. Still lots to do .
Sean the Orc:
The sheer size of the bust has its own difficulties I find, especially without an airbrush. But its a nice challenge for now. Anyway that all for now and probably until after the holidays. So happy holidays.
Right more progress on him, lots of pics upcoming. He is getting on a bit though still a daunting amount to do. Not happy with the hair so will probably be redoing alot of it. Might take a break from this guy but we’ll see.
And then my first foray into 54mm, which has been a huge change from the bust. Finding it really tricky, though at this point its still really basic.
And I have been busy rethinking what exactly about this hobby I enjoy and where I want to spend my money. have also finished painting a few minis which you can see HERE, HERE, and HERE. Just quick paint jobs to get me back into it and finishing off some old stuff, so its not lying around.
Also attended a Chris Clayton Masterclass, put on by The Basement (great folks, go check them out) and so have been sculpting since.
And since then I have moved on to this:
I’ve actually done quite a bit since this picture was taken but am too lazy to take more pictures at the moment. Still a long way to go anyway. Anyway enough for now, I will try to be more regular in my updates from now on as I plan to do have a more steady work flow from now on.
And HERE is the link to vote, if you are so inclined.
ALSO if you havent already done so please do go VOTE on Olsvalter. THANKS!
I have started the Nocturna Violinist. He is 54mm, so is quite a challenge, so far I have only done the face. Its not entirely complete as I need to fix a few things and add some more colour to his eyes. Anyway. I thought I would show a progression of my painting of his face, so here goes:
(Keep in mind that these pictures show the face at 4-5 times the actual size)
Picture 1, just some sketching of colours, no real blending.
Picture 2, started adding some colour and blending, but wasnt happy with it as some of the colours were out of wack.
And Picture 3, he is nearly done now, just eyes to be fixed and more colour added and fixing some of the highlighting. Also need to tone down a few colours, like the purple around the eyes.
Well its been a while, have been busy moving and such, but I have got some stuff done. Here is some photos:
and the Rackham Ogre